Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portable waterproof CarPlay units for your motorcycle

There finally seem to emerge CarPlay units that are shock-resistant and waterproof to be used on a motorcycle. They are sold under names like "MAXCA Xlite C5" or "WIZCAR Mate" but they're also available as unbranded no-name products from AliExpress.

Does anybody already use such device? Can you recommend it? How useable is Scenic via CarPlay for touring? Do you have to pull out your phone a lot or can everything necessary be done via CarPlay as well?

I know of one user who emailed me about this unit. He's not on the forum. He has not purchased it yet, but was looking into it. I will report here if I get more news.

I have a similar (non-waterproof) unit that I use for development purposes behind my desk. Also came from China, so wouldn't surprise me if the internals are the same or very similar. It works good. Hardware build quality is a bit flimsy. Might be better on this Maxca.

Can the touch screen of this maxca unit be operated with normal (non-touch enabled) gloves? My unit can't. So that's definitely worth to check, as it doesn't come with a remove control, does it? (CarPlay on Honda motorcycles can be operated with the switch gear on the motorcycle handlebar).

CarPlay is limited a lot by iOS/Apple, but I believe I integrated the most used features in it. I don't have CarPlay on my motorcycle, but perhaps some of the Motorcycle CarPlay owners (GoldWing, Africa Twin) on this forum, can chime in on that. Or, if you have CarPlay in your car, give it a try through there.

mbirth has reacted to this post.
mbirth
If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️
Quote from Guido on 08.11.2022, 11:40

Can the touch screen of this maxca unit be operated with normal (non-touch enabled) gloves? My unit can't.

I believe that's the "future" we live in now. Even Garmin's latest motorcycle nav unit (zumo XT) has a capacitive touchscreen instead of a resistive one like their previous models. And yes, this comes with problems like needing special gloves and ghost-inputs when raindrops roll down the display.

Current motorcycle CarPlay models:

• MAXCA Xplay lite C5 (5") - $299
  • WIZCAR Mate (5") - $259
  • Ottocast CarPlay Lite C5 (5") - $249
  • Coral Vision CarPlay M1 (5") - not yet released?
  • LeCarLife LCLmedia™ Mini (5") - $399
  • LeCarLife LCLmedia™ (7") + waterproof case - not yet released, prob. $250
  • no-name AliExpress (5") - $160-250
  • no-name AliExpress (7") - $60-$120 (not waterproof without case)

They all seem to be based on the SunPlus SPHE8368-U - In-Vehicle Infotainment SoC with smartphone link and its reference implementation with slightly different GUIs between brands. The 5" models seem to have "Dual-Bluetooth" so you can connect your phone AND your helmet comm unit. The 7" model (originally for cars) has an FM-transmitter which should work fine with e.g. the Cardo Packtalk's FM radio.

I'm still deciding whether/which to buy. 🙂

Guido has reacted to this post.
Guido

I use SC1 Advanced and scenic. Time by time the garmin zumo xt too. Why also carplay units??

I don´t see the benefit.

Greetings

Quote from SpearMen on 16.11.2022, 10:48

I use SC1 Advanced and scenic. Time by time the garmin zumo xt too. Why also carplay units??

I don't like spoken instructions as apps/nav units sometimes don't recognise a turn as a turn and stay quiet or give ambiguous information (e.g. "turn left" when there's 2 possible "left"s) - especially in dense areas like city centres.

And I'm trying to get rid of my Garmin and embrace the future which is having the unused powerful device in my pocket do the things for which I'm carrying a second powerful device (Garmin) around at the moment.

Nevertheless, the goal should be to have the view with the eyes on the road, instead of on the navigation screen. Driving instructions are therefore essential. With a lot of experience in driving and after long training with navigation, it should be easy to get along in the big city. Navigation should help the driver and not make him dependent. That's why "Scenic" can stay in your jacket pocket.

"Many roads lead to the goal!"

I've now used Black Friday offers and not only am I a Scenic Premium user now, but I've als ordered a generic Motorcycle CarPlay unit from AliExpress for slightly under 160€ incl. shipping. I'll write a review once it arrived and I had the chance to test it.

Update (28 Nov):

Quote from mbirth on 25.11.2022, 04:24

I've now used Black Friday offers and not only am I a Scenic Premium user now, but I've als ordered a generic Motorcycle CarPlay unit from AliExpress for slightly under 160€ incl. shipping. I'll write a review once it arrived and I had the chance to test it.

That would be great. I’m sure many others will be interested in that!

My guess is that most people just don’t know these units exist, so I might link to your review in the next newsletter.

mbirth has reacted to this post.
mbirth
If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️