Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Waterproofing your Phone ?

Hi all

I recently bought another bike a Himalayan for winter back road riding. My iPhone 12 is mounted on the handlebar to one side using the QuadLock system. My problem now is that the phone is very exposed to the elements. I'm happy when its dry but driving rain hitting the phone at 60 mph will I think destroy the phone. QuadLock do not make any waterproof cases just a poncho which won't protect the camera lenses on the back of the phone. The best solution I have come up with is to buy a waterproof case and stick the QuadLock universal mount onto the back. Has anyone done this ? Can anyone recommend a good waterproof case ?  Anyone found a better solution.

On my RT the phone is mounted behind the screen and is perfectly protected from the rain. I did try a mount for the Himalayan to fix my phone behind the screen but the vibration was too much so resorted to handlebar mount.

Lastly how waterproof is the wireless charger. It seems to me a poor design having to plug a power lead into the back of it. Surely that's not waterproof.

Hi Peter,

When I lived in Netherlands I used LifeProof cases. Was very happy with them. They’ve been acquired by otterbox since then, but it seems the product line still exists: https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/lifeproof

Back in those days iPhones weren’t water proof.

The newer iPhones are waterproof enough up-to 6 meters for 30 minutes. (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT207043)

Now that I live in Mexico I just use the quad lock case. In the rainy season we have the occasional downpour, but the iPhone can handle that. It detects water in the charge port and shuts down the charge port at that time, but the phone continuous working on battery. Then, when the shower is over, I dry the phone and plug it back in.

Id probably go for a waterproof case as well, if I lived in Netherlands, Germany, etc. Places where it can rain all day long.

I don’t use a wireless charger anymore as they generate heat and, combined with full sun, GPS running all the time, and hot Mexican weather, caused my iPhone to overheat and shut down temporarily on occasions where there wasn’t enough riding wind to cool it.

I do still have the quad lock wireless charger and indeed the connection there doesn’t seem waterproof. I’d probably put some silicone sealant around it to be sure in your case.

Hope this helps. Curious what other people use though.

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️

Looks like the LifeProof Fre case is the only one that is waterproof in the Otterbox range.  Unfortunately the case is made from Polypropylene (PP)  and is not suitable with the adhesive on the QuadLock universal adapter. Found this article from QuadLock.

https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/en-us/articles/235253047-What-phones-cases-does-the-Universal-Adaptor-adhere-to-

The search continues.

Found a solution. I like the LifeProof Fre case but the sticky universal adapter from QuadLock is not compatible. However I had a look at SP-Connect and they do a Universal Clamp that would work well with the LifeProof Fre case. Luckily I have a SP-Connect handlebar mount with vibration adapter that fits the Himalayan perfectly. So have ordered the case and clamp. With the phone so exposed the case will provide protection not just from the rain but dirt as well. Thanks Guido for suggesting LifeProof cases.

Guido has reacted to this post.
Guido

Hi there, would you believe there's a simpler way to waterproofing then this...

I just stick my iPhone into a self(re)closing sandwich bag and then place it back into the holder (Optiline). Easy-peasy. Touchscreen still works. Visibility is still great.. Cost only a few cents.. just saying....

I would think that vibration/shock would be more of a concern than water. From what I've read this is particularly so with iPhones.

Maybe check out the wireless CarPlay/Android Auto displays being talked about/reviewed here...

https://scenic.app/forum/topic/portable-waterproof-carplay-units-for-your-motorcycle/

Supposedly IP68 rated and certainly cheap (sold under various brand names - see AliExpress for example for some of the cheapest deals). Might be a better option to let that thing take the abuse vs. an expensive iPhone.

One other potential solution that might be worth considering... Beeline Moto.

Quote from Naskuh on 19.03.2023, 06:35

I just stick my iPhone into a self(re)closing sandwich bag and then place it back into the holder (Optiline). Easy-peasy. Touchscreen still works. Visibility is still great.. Cost only a few cents.. just saying....

Also be careful with that from a overheating perspective. Especially when in direct sun. The iPhone can’t get rid of its heat in a plastic bag.

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️
Quote from Naskuh on 19.03.2023, 06:35

I found something easier still when I rode most of a day through proper rain... iPhone SE (IP67 water resistance, bought used) in a Quadlock case, mounted on a wireless charging base on my handlebars (no vibration damper as I don't care if I ruin the camera).  No extra waterproofing - it got soaked all day, worked fine all day, and dried right off at the end of my ride.  Water cooled, I guess!

I know, Apple doesn't promise it will stay waterproof... and I broke the rules wireless charging it when wet...

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe I don't recommend this after all... 😛

Hi,

I use Quadlock with vibration damper + IP SE 3rd generation on my Honda NT1100 with Apple Carplay. This works great when dry. The Iphone is supposed to be water resistant but after some time riding in rain the lightning port gets wet and the phone and the navigation "die" until the phone is dried up. This happened on the Autobahn on my way from Sweden to Spain in April. So I used the zip lock bag concept mentioned here - luckily 3C and rain prevents overheating of both the phone and the rider. But the wind at Autobahn speed is not nice to the bag. Searched Quadlock for a solution but their poncho's does not allow any cables and the cable is needed for Carplay and charging function. With a longer cable it is possible to stick the phone in a dry place (tank bag / pocket) but that can not be the way it is supposed to be 🙂  Are there lightening cables out there with an o-ring/silicone seal to keep the water out of the port on the phone? Someone tried chewing gum? 🙂

I don’t know about cables but another option would be to get a waterproof case (otterbox, lifeproof) and stick the universal quad lock thingy on the back of that case.

Thanks Guido

Need to check if the otterbox / life proof cases allow the lightning cable

Personally I have my iPhone in my tank bag when using CarPlay , with a charge cable running in my tank bag. Or for shorter rides I just keep the phone in my pocket. (I have a crappy Chinese CarPlay unit…more on that here if you have some time to kill: https://scenic.app/forum/topic/portable-waterproof-carplay-units-for-your-motorcycle/ )

Hi again,

Searched and gave it som thought.

PTFE (teflon) thread seal tape is only 0.1mm thick (and cheap).

Will bring some on my next long trip and and put on the the charging cable's lightning connector close to the base when the dark clouds appear .

Found some pictures indicating Apple's IP activities to prevent water entering lighting and USB C ports.

Cheers / Paul