Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Strange routing in Scenic compared to Google Maps -> Why?

I'm planning a tour with my friends next year. The idea is to travel over the Alps and drive overall about 30 passes. While planning the rout I came across a very strange behavior in Scenic compared to the same part of the route in Google Maps.

This is the route in Scenic (it's just a very short extraction of what I already planned but this is the place where the issue appears):

https://scenicapp.space/viewRoute.php?rid=THCXmRpT

The nearly same start and end point of the route in Google Maps:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Pr4ozgaPcj72nmC96

As you can see I already included a waypoint in Scenic to force using the directing via the Toll Road, however I am absolutely not able to get Scening driving North. Even when I add more waypoints at the end Scenic might start driving around and is going to reach the waypoints coming from the North driving to the South.

Why is it possible to navigate using Google directly via the Toll Road but not using Scenic?

The routing options in Scenic are set to "Balanced" and no special options are activated.

I've tried it myself and indeed something weird is going on here. My guess is that Scenic won't route you over there because the (toll station to the ) tunnel is not open all the time. Of course, even if that were the case, Scenic should route you over there and only give you a warning.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it in the short term. The current App Store version of Scenic uses the old HERE maps and HERE framework including "old" routing algorithm. It's the routing algorithm that makes this (wrong) decision.

I entered the same stretch of road (the tunnel) in the Scenic 3.5 beta version, and that one does calculate correct (see screenshot).

The 3.5 beta uses the new HERE map framework. The beta will go to the App Store in a few weeks. I could give you access to the beta if you like? If so, please send me a direct email (use 'email me' button at the bottom of  scenic.app/help).

Best regards,
Guido

TheDriver79 has reacted to this post.
TheDriver79
If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️

Thank you for investigating the issue, that‘s a very interesting situation and good to know it‘s „solved“ in the new version of Scenic.

Kind regards
Alex

I'm double-posting just to update you about my experience with the Beta.

First of all I'd like to thank you for providing me Beta access.

After experiencing issues by just updating my existing installations on iPad and iPhone I uninstalled Scenic on both devices and installed the Beta directly. That helped getting the application working again.
The main reason to have a look at the Beta was the strange routing in the public release and this of course vanished by using the Beta.

As soon as I will do a ride with my daily car I will also test the enhanced navigation in the Beta. However my classic car is wrapped and keeps Winter hibernation so I'm not that much using Scenic at the moment. Most time I use it is planning longer road trips for next season.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you send me a direct email with the issues you experienced when updating? The update normally should go smoothly, so I'm curious what happened. In general, any beta feedback you have, please feel free to write me directly. As the beta is not public yet, the forum is not the best place for that.

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️