Please or Register to create posts and topics.

More ground clearance for Yamaha FJ-09

So, I have a 2016 Yamaha FJ-09. Truly one of the most enjoyable bikes I ever owned. There's just one thing... the ground clearance it not enough for Mexican toppes (speed bumps). I guess the only way to get more ground clearance is to change/replace the suspension, but don't want to spend too much money. Any ideas?

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️

I wanted to do the same but the only possible way was replacing the FJ with the 790 adv. 😎

i think longer suspension travel would make it even more unstable at higher speeds. I don’t know another possibility.

kn0xster has reacted to this post.
kn0xster

Haha. That’s one way to go yes 😁. I’ll keep it in mind.

You’re probably right about the instability. I installed a steering stabilizer. Works quite well, but still sometimes I get the high speed wobble. Seems to depend on road surface and wind direction. (And perhaps tire pressure)

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️

I have the same issue with my FJ-09, so I bought these fork extensions and jack up plates.  Haven't installed them yet though.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/yamaha-fork-extensions

From the seller's website:   "Our fork extensions are either 50mm or 75mm long and made from high quality anodised 7075 billet aluminium. They extend R1, R6 & MT09  forks to a suitable length when performing a fork conversion  onto a bike that requires longer forks or when more ride height is required."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ONbOPvmL0#action=share

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/mt-09-jack-up-plates

Also from the seller's website: "These jack up plates will make your standard MT-09 (FZ-09), XSR900 or MT09 Tracer, ride height adjustable giving you a varied height for riding requirements or cosmetic appearance. These allow the tail of the motorcycle to be lowered 25mm , stock height, or raised 25mm or 35mm, giving a wide range of adjustment to suit your particular needs. Sold as a pair."

Very nice!!!
Could you let me know how it is after installing? Looked at installation video of the fork extenders. Not super easy (not a grease monkey) but doable.

I’ve been thinking about changing the entire suspension (or get another bike 🙂) for a bit more off-road usage (Mexican asfalt sometimes feels like off-road), but this is definitely the easier solution.

Finally had the time to do it.  Went to a motorcycle shop, took them a couple of hours, did not seem difficult.

Increased bike's ground clearance by 2.5 - 3cm.  Bike handles very well or even better canyon carving than before, no more problems passing speed bumps or going on gravel, fire roads, or a little offroading.

Very happy with the modification.  Attached a couple of pictures.

RB has reacted to this post.
RB

That looks awesome! I have my Tracer for sale now (going for KTM 790 probably), but I’m sure this will be helpful for many others. Thanks so much for sharing!

Quote from Luis on August 16, 2020, 15:54

Finally had the time to do it.  Went to a motorcycle shop, took them a couple of hours, did not seem difficult.

Increased bike's ground clearance by 2.5 - 3cm.  Bike handles very well or even better canyon carving than before, no more problems passing speed bumps or going on gravel, fire roads, or a little offroading.

Very happy with the modification.  Attached a couple of pictures.

Hello Luis,

I want to do a Scrambler project in my XSR900 and I'm thincking to use the same setup as you.
I have a few questions for you:

- Did you use de 50 mm fork extenders?
- Did you had to put new longer braking lines and/or new longer abs cables?
- The original clearance is 135 mm, how much do you have now?
- How does it feel offroading?

I love so much this bike, but I feel the need to explore more and I don't want to trade the cp3 for the cp2 of the T7...

Hello RB

Sorry I just saw your message.

Yes, I used the 50mm forx extenders.

No need for longer brake or abs cables.  I gained 2.5 cm. although you can go up to 3.5 with the jack up plates.  I have 16 cm ground clearance.  The bike feels great both road and offroading.

The tracer is a great bike, but has too little ground clearance and front suspension travel.  I recommend the jackup plates and for extenders.   Let me know if you have any idea on how to make the suspension better for riding in light offroad, fire roads, etc.

- Did you had to put new longer braking lines and/or new longer abs cables?
- The original clearance is 135 mm, how much do you have now?
- How does it feel offroading?

Hi, this is just a suggestion what I have for my Fj-09, the way to get more ground clearance is to change/replace the suspension;
so I changed it with this picture

That looks awesome! I have my Tracer for sale now (going for KTM 790 probably), but I’m sure this will be helpful for many others. Thanks so much for sharing!