Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:Scenic ForumUsing ScenicGPX with waypoints
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

GPX with waypoints

I have a GPX file which contains some special waypoints. If I import the GPX file and save it as a track (blue line), the waypoints are not displayed on the track. How can i see them on the track?

Honda XL1000V '02 -> Honda CRF1100L '20

In a GPX file waypoints don’t belong to tracks. They are separate entities. What you could do is save the waypoints as a POI group. Then you can choose to show that POI group on the map while you are navigating the route/track.

Check out the tutorial video > Custom POI Import section: https://scenic.app/help/scenic-detailed-tutorial-video/

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to save the waypoints as a POI group, but could not find a way to display them while following the track. There is a way to add the POI group if creating a new route, but not for a track.

In Osmand the waypoints are imported automatically with the track from a GPX file...

Sorry.... I wasn't complete in my explanation.
Once you imported the waypoints as a POI group, you can select to show it as a 'layer' on the map. The layer selector is currently only available in the Route Editor. But if you turn it on there the layer will also be visible during navigation. The route editor is reachable by choosing the 'Create Route' button in the routes tab. Then in the route editor, the layers button is bottom right on the map.

If you're enjoying Scenic and are happy with the support, please leave a nice rating in the App Store. It would mean a lot to me ❤️

Ok, I think I understand now. The POI group can be displayed only if you are navigating a route. If you follow a track (blue line) in the forest where navigation is not available (offroading), when you cannot add the POI group

The POI group will always be displayed, even if you are following a track. You just select the track to navigate, and then hit the start button. You won't receive turn by turn instructions (because it's a track), but you will be able to 'follow the line' and your ride will be recorded and the POIs will be visible.

It's because Scenic handles GPX files a bit differently compared to OSMAnd. OSMAnd groups waypoint and tracks and routes together. Scenic treats them separately. The waypoints (and the POI groups) do not belong to a track or a route. They are by themselves. If you select a POI group in the layer selector, they will always show, even if you select a completely different route or track.

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something here. Please check the screenshots. You can see that the POI group layer has been added (1st screenshot). If you start to follow a track, when there is no POI group in the same location (2nd screenshot).

Weird... I just tested this myself:

Not sure what's going here to be honest. Could you send screenshot of the POI Group settings? (Locations tab > Custom POIs section > Tap your poi group

Ah... are you by any chance far away from the track at the moment. Only the POIs that are close to your current location will show on the map. (This is because loading POIs on the map costs a lot of performance, so Scenic only shows those POIs you can realistically reach in a days ride.

Yes, I am quite far at the moment 😀

Ok, it's clear then. Will try again, i'll be there this weekend. Thanks, Guido.